Tuesday, June 17, 2008

At the Zoo

Again this month, my work did not flow in as promised and I find myself thwarted in planning my time as I would like. When the weather promised to be exceptional today and my work had not appeared, we looked for an activity that would take us outside, not be too costly, and not be too far away. We decided on the Philadelphia Zoo.

The girls woke us at 5:30 a.m. this morning. We had set an alarm in their room to 7:30 a.m. and told them not to disturb us until the alarm went off, but I guess they did not take it too seriously. I got up and helped them get breakfast and then left them watching Sprout and went back to sleep. Izzy came and knocked a second time around an hour later. Then mom buzzed us on the intercom and said she needed help getting her breakfast. Saul got up at that point because I was so exhausted and wound up making her breakfast and feeding it to her in bed because she was too dizzy and weak to get up and her hands were shaking too hard to hold the spoon. We are hoping all this is just a reaction to the medication and the weakness created by the pneumonia. By the time Saul was finished giving mom breakfast, both girls had gone back to sleep. A half hour after that, mom was able to get up and dressed and walk to the kitchen. We decided not to go very far away so that we could be back in case of an emergency, but when we left she was okay, ensconced in a chair, and watching television.

The Philadelphia Zoo was a good choice. For $94, we bought a family membership that allows us and up to six children to visit for free all year and includes free parking. Going to Hersheypark or Sesame Place for one shot would have been a lot more expensive, almost double. We took the girls for an early lunch at a Chinese Buffet in Plymouth Meeting Mall where Izzy and Sami could eat their fill of sushi, especially the bubble kind (caviar) for Izzy.

The zoo was delightful. We had not been there in many years and were happy we had chosen it as our activity for today.

During dinner, after the girls had showered, Beth stopped over, had a bite, and invited us to view her new kitchen renovation. It is really beautiful with gorgeous and functional wood cabinets, granite countertops, and new appliances. Mom was okay for the rest of the day and joined us for dinner. I hope the worst is over.

We have told the girls that if they wake us too early tomorrow, we will remove the t.v. from their room. I really need a good night's sleep soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't you find something less interesting to video? It's like that 1st home video with everyone frozen and smiling cause they didn't get that it was video!